Wearing Her Pentacle  

Posted in , ,

My daughter, Olivia, is starting kindergarten this September. She will be attending public school. Recently, she has asked me if she can wear her Pentacle necklace to school. My first reaction was to say "no", not because I didn't want anyone to see it but because I feared she may lose it. At 5 years old, kids aren't always very good at keeping things in check.
(The picture above is not a photo of her Pentacle but it is exactly what she has.)

I was talking to a friend acquaintance of mine about this and he seemed to think her wearing a pentacle necklace to school is a bad idea. That she shouldn't *flaunt* that type of *thing*
WTF?!

I don't want my daughter thinking what she believes in or what her mommy believes is bad and needs to be hidden. There are many Pagans all around us. In fact, one of her good friends from pre-school is Pagan. People, open your minds!

This entry was posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 at Friday, July 18, 2008 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

Just wanted to say that I am openly pagan and my kids have had no flack at all about it at school (knock wood!). I agree with you that your daughter should not have to hide her religion, any more than any other child should.

Of course I also agree that she might be a little young to wear an important piece of jewelry to school every day. Especially on gym days (my daughter isn't allowed to wear any jewelry at all on gym days, and she's lost a couple of pairs of earrings because she forgot and had to stick them in her pocket).

Maybe she'd be happy with decorating her backpack with symbols or something?

July 19, 2008 at 4:03 PM

Hi there! Glad to hear your kids have not had any hardships at school being openly Pagan.

I agree about her being too young for jewelry! I love your backpack idea! Thanks and do visit me again!

July 19, 2008 at 8:55 PM

Anna, my 5 year old, has "practiced" wearing jewelry and she has done very well and hasn't lost anything. Maybe try her wearing a necklace that isn't as "important" or is similar to that one (less expensive) and see how it goes. If she wears her Pentacle on a day to day basis then she may be ready. I also like the idea of decorating her book bag, etc.

Concerning the other issue: I don't know about your area, but I don't believe most people know what some of those symbols mean. And it's the perfect age to teach her how to respond to children who ask her and what to say if she receives negative feedback. I hope people will open their minds and not prejudice their children about something they more than likely don't understand or know anything about.

July 30, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Hey Petula :) Wow tis is an OLD post! SHe is going into 4th grade this September! She sure has come along way - not worried about it at all :)

July 30, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...