How To Clean Cast Iron Cookware with a Potato  

Posted in

I can't say much more than this;
If you have cast iron pans with crud on them, clean them with a potato.

To remove rust, slice a fresh potato in half and cover the cut end in liquid dish detergent. Rub the rust spots away with the potato, rinse clean, dry, then apply a light layer of oil to the cookware.

This does work and it sure beats scrubbing your cookware with harmful chemicals. This works! Yay!

This entry was posted on Tuesday, November 4, 2008 at Tuesday, November 04, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

7 comments

I've never heard of using a potato! I don't ever use dish soap on mine, though. A good scrub with a sponge and maybe a little salt, then right on the stove to dry and a smear of veggie shortening. Soap takes off the seasoning too much for me.

November 4, 2008 at 3:16 PM

It really works!

November 4, 2008 at 3:48 PM
Anonymous  

I'll have to tell my roomie about this! We both love using cast iron cookware, and I've never thought of using a potato! :)

November 5, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Let me know how it works - I had great results!

November 5, 2008 at 7:58 PM

I use to use cast iron pans all the time, but over the years they have rusted out. I have heard of using oil on them and letting them bake in a warm oven over night but never knew about cleaning with the potato before. Great idea. Thanks for sharing

November 6, 2008 at 12:08 AM

Hey Patty,
I hope it works well for you. It did for me. Actually, I have never heard of the warm oil trick!

November 6, 2008 at 12:40 PM

My DH is a chef and he says that all they use is some salt and a hand cloth. If it is seasoned well this will do the trick and they never use soap at all.

He thought the potato idea was pretty cool, too. He said he may try it with the potato and some salt next time.

Nice site, I am checking you out and will be back!

November 21, 2008 at 10:50 PM

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...