Book of Shadows - My Dilemma  

Posted in

This is my Book of Shadows. There is a lot of history surrounding it and I have been putting off making a decision as to what to do with it.

Here's the story:
Jeff (my ex-husband) made this BOS for me when I first found the women who eventually formed the Coven with me. He worked long and hard to make this Book. It's made of wood, leather, crystals, amulets, animal bones and parchment paper. It is a beautiful Book.

When the Coven formed, this became our Book, hence the name on it 'Circle Of Enchantment'
We used the book for initiation and then added some things to it but the Coven became 'official' too late in the game - we broke apart shortly after initiation.

Obviously I kept the Book, there was no way I was going to allow any of the members to have it. I removed all of the pages that were written on by the Coven and burned them - as a release with no ill will. I set the Book out in the Moonlight under a Full Moon to cleanse it. I've passed it through incense and even used a smudge stick to rid any negativity.

It's been about 7 years since the Coven broke apart. This Book is completely empty inside. I have thought about packing it away and just having it as a momentum of that time of my life. I would never destroy it, sell it or give it away. Yet, I haven't been able to box it up. Something is drawing me to it.

I have been contemplating using it - as my own. I think it would be a wonderful heirloom to pass down from generation to generation. I would love to fill it with magick for my children - full of spells, chants, 'recipes', etc. I suppose I'm hung up on the fact that the front of the Book has the name of the Coven. I thought about asking Jeff to make a new cover and although there are no bad vibes/feelings between us, I'm afraid that may take some of the energy away from the Book - changing what it is.

I'm just not sure what to do. it is a part of me, a part of my past. It has been cleansed.

Thoughts? Advice?


More pictures of my BOS:

Here you can see the thickness. Also, Jeff burned the edges of the pages to give it an 'old' look:



Here's a look at the leather bookmarks with amulets:



A closer look at the amulets:



The inside of the Book:



The animal jaw used as a clasp:



The front of the Book:

This entry was posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 at Saturday, January 31, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

19 comments

I would definitely keep it to pass down. If you use it, to all the kids. If you decide to put it away and not use it, to pass down to Olivia as something her dad made.

As far as the cover, you've cleansed all that was a part of the coven away. Make that title yours now in some way. Not necessarily as the name of a new coven or what-have-you, but perhaps the circle that is you and yours...your family.

January 31, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Oh my! This BOS is absolutely gorgeous and you probably can't box it up b/c it is begging for you to use it. IT doesn't matter that the name of the coven is on the it. "Circle of Enchantment" can also refer to the circle that you cast before each spell, everything in the universe is circular in nature, the circle of the year, etc. so i can refer to many different things. Use it! Its a shame not to put it to good use. Gorgeous.

January 31, 2009 at 12:11 PM
Anonymous  

You know, I came up with the Coven name in the first place and I remember the others weren't all that thrilled with the name but no one had a different suggestion - you know how that goes.

It was barely used - it's more a part of me than anything or anyone else. I do need to make it mine.

January 31, 2009 at 12:11 PM
Anonymous  

Thank you!!!

I always thought it would be such a wonderful heirloom. All these potions, blessings and spells I am putting in this blog...need to be in that Book!
Thank you
)O(

January 31, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Yes, absolutley. Put them in there. I wish I could come over and thumb through it when you are done...but I know many witches don't allow that. Just a wish. ;) But I'm excited for you.

January 31, 2009 at 6:48 PM

I must say, that is the most gorgeous BOS I have ever laid eyes on. I think I would definately use it as my own, but being there is space above the name, what about adding another word to change the intention now that it has been cleansed. It is a shame to just pack it away, it is just beautiful....you have just inspired me!!!

January 31, 2009 at 7:33 PM
Anonymous  

Hi there1
You have made a great point - I could add something at the top, before the title!

Thank you! I am glad I inspired you =)

January 31, 2009 at 7:48 PM
Anonymous  

Definately fill it and pass it down. It is too beautiful not to put it to use.

As for the title I have to second Syn and say that you should find a meaning in the words that have nothing to do with the circle it briefly named and then reconsecrate the book with that intent behind it.

January 31, 2009 at 8:46 PM

I agree 100% with what Syn wrote. Your new Circle is your family.

January 31, 2009 at 9:43 PM
Anonymous  

Hi Mama Kelly!
I think you and all who have commented are right - it is too lovely to just let sit.I need to let go of some 'demons' and get over the Coven issue and then reconsecrate the book.

February 1, 2009 at 6:35 AM
Anonymous  

Diane,
You're right - the Circle is my family and this should be something I pass down to my children.

February 1, 2009 at 6:36 AM
Anonymous  

boo on all this keep it nonsense. I say sell it on Ebay.. take the money and do something cool that you have always wanted..

February 1, 2009 at 12:18 PM
Anonymous  

Well hello 'anonymous' lol
Thank you for your input. I am guessing you're not too knowledgeable in the areas of magick and energy?

Selling it would NOT be a good idea.

February 1, 2009 at 12:45 PM
Anonymous  

Definitely make it yours! It is BEAUTIFUL! (love the jaw bone clasp).

February 1, 2009 at 1:08 PM

My suggestions would be to smudge it (again) write a special blessing for it, stating that it is now your personal and family BOS and is no longer tied to the coven.
Bless it, dedicate it and start writing in it.
It is too beautiful not to use.

February 1, 2009 at 6:01 PM
Anonymous  

Aelwyn,
Thank you for the compliment! I am going to keep it!

February 2, 2009 at 8:07 AM
Anonymous  

Celestite,
That is exactly what I am going to do, starting today, Imbolc, it's on my Altar!

February 2, 2009 at 8:08 AM

Your ex is awesome at this! He should like start a business or something. Anyways I bet i took like almost a year to make it so perfect.

March 9, 2013 at 8:42 PM

This look awesome I bet it took your ex a whole year to make this.

March 9, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...