There IS More Than One Religion  

Posted in

I will admit it, I've become jaded when it comes to other religions. I suppose that's because it seems I have had mostly bad experiences with people of different faiths.

I was raised Catholic and forced to go to church, CCD classes and I was forced into receiving all the sacraments. Interestingly enough, I don't know anyone in my family who 'practiced what they preached' so to speak. In fact, I still don't. Pretty pathetic - to me they are all followers, going along with things because that's 'just how it is'

I seem to meet many extremists too and that is a complete turn off no matter what religion. So, I've been feeling pretty 'anti' lately. Thankfully, someone very wise and dear to me made a comment regarding the latest Celebrating Earth Spirituality Event debacle. She said:

"I will never understand why some people just cannot understand that there are many, many different faiths. Each has its beauty and is right for the person that follows that path. My faith is within me and it keeps me strong just as others' faith does for them.

Whenever I see one or two of any faith trying to force their way on another, I think of my father and how his deep faith as a Christian never wavered...he came to our Circles, he celebrated with us and he never once felt threatened or felt he needed to pull me or any one in our Circle to his faith. This is a true example, to me, of a Christian...of a beautiful person. We shared together...and we loved each other!

When you close your eyes and heart to someone based on religion, color, race, etc, you will never know the possible beauty, kinship or love that you may be missing. How sad would that be! Kudos to all those who are happy in their faith and know that others of different faiths feel exactly the way they do!
"

This entry was posted on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 at Wednesday, September 16, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 comments

Guest  

I totally agree! I have just started down this path and my husband who is Christian based in his faith has no problem with it. Yes he thinks some of it is just hooey but he supports me in all I do. Especially when I would never find happiness in Christianity. I have always believed that everyone has a right to practice whatever religion makes them happy and a good person, before I even knew Wiccans say the same. I have no problem with other religions as long as they do not condemn others for their pursuits of happiness.

September 24, 2009 at 7:27 AM
Guest  

I am thrilled to have found your blog. This is the best article on tolerance and acceptance I have read in a long time. I used the share button and put your posting on my blog. Thanks so much. Linda in New Mexico

http://lindaomasoldebaggsnstuftshirts.blogspot.com/

September 25, 2009 at 12:16 PM
Guest  

I concur. I too was raised Catholic and had the same experiences as you, however, my mother is still very much Catholic and practices her faith...without question. I've challenged her a few times, but I know she's not going to change or even consider a dialog about her faith, so I've accepted that. I grew up Catholic, but in a Jewish neighborhood, so there was always a lot of Socratic type of education from my friends parents and especially, grandparents...it was very exciting and I loved to hear about their views.




Recent blog:=- Getting Out of Dodge

September 25, 2009 at 2:35 PM
Witchy Mama  

Thank you everyone for commenting. I have been so sick over the last week so I was not keeping up with my blogs. I am back ;) Let's discuss things!

Recent blog:=- Mabon Blessings!

September 27, 2009 at 1:09 PM

amen sister friend!! ;)

November 6, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...