Lughnasadh/Lammas Incense  

Posted in ,

Below I have posted two easy recipes for wonderfully smelling incense to burn during Lammas. You can make stick or cone incense but I have found the easiest type to make is the loose powder kind. I burn this on a piece of charcoal in the little cauldron I have on my altar.

I always add Benzoin powder to all my homemade loose incenses, just to keep it more on the powdery side so it's not too sticky. I use my mortar and pestle to crush any leaves or blossoms.

Remember, when creating incense, keep your focus on intent. As you mix and blend this Lammas incense, focus on the beginning of the harvest. Be thankful for the bounty of the earth, and the knowledge that there will be enough to eat through the coming winter months.

This first recipe involves a bit more herbs:

  • 1 part basil
  • 1/2 part cinnamon bark
  • 1 part coriander
  • 2 parts goldenrod
  • 1 part heather
  • 1/2 part rosemary
  • 2 parts Sweet Annie (you can use dried apple blossoms if you don’t have Sweet Annie)
  • 1 part yarrow


The other incense I make involves these herbs:

  • sandalwood
  • rosewood
  • frankincense
  • aloeswood
I mix all of those in 1/2 parts.

Make sure to store incense in a tightly sealed jar. Always label it and put the date on it - it is best used within 3 months of the date made.

This entry was posted on Saturday, August 1, 2009 at Saturday, August 01, 2009 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...