Bible Class in Public High Schools?  

Posted in

The Arizona Legislature has never been shy about weighing in on hot-button issues. (Exhibit A: SB 1070, the state's illegal immigration law.) The latest such move: a vote to allow public and charter schools to teach students about the Bible.

The Arizona House this week voted to allow high schools to offer a class called “The Bible and Its Influence on Western Culture,” which would focus on how the Old and New Testaments have influenced everything from law to literature. According to the Arizona Republic, five states already provide similar classes: Georgia, Texas, Tennessee, South Carolina and Oklahoma.

The Arizona bill's opponents don’t dispute that the Bible is a ripe topic for academic study. But some lawmakers predict a constitutional challenge, particularly because the course would not cover other religious texts. In fact, the Arizona House voted down an amendment that would have allowed schools to explore the Book of Mormon’s role in Western culture.

Opponents also raised questions about how teachers would present Biblical stories. As parables? Myths? Literal truth?

“These types of classes sound good in theory, but in practicality they can be very difficult to pull off,” Rob Boston, an analyst for Americans United for Separation of Church and State, told the Republic.

The state Senate, which Republicans also dominate, will now take up the measure.

This is only the latest debate to roil Arizona classrooms. The Tucson Unified School District sparred in recent months with state officials over the district’s Mexican American studies program.

READ FULL STORY

This entry was posted on Thursday, February 23, 2012 at Thursday, February 23, 2012 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

7 comments

I don't see how they even made it that far! I certainly hope someone steps up and gets these classes out of public school.

February 23, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Either get them out OR allow ALL other holy texts to be read/discussed.

February 23, 2012 at 12:37 PM
Empress723  

I agree w/this to a degree--but not a strong one. If one wants to take a THEOLOGY course in HS as an ELECTIVE where ALL is taught--and I DO MEAN ALL--have at it.

But aren't they doing away with Art and Music in schools...??? Yet they will make room for THIS?

Ida Know...education is great on all levels but I think a theological diversity class would be quite interesting. But that will happen just as soon as we see black female Jewish lesbian Pope.

**giggling**

February 23, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Empress723, LOL you're right! Annnd, I agree with you as well - as an elective? Okay then...but as part of the curriculum? What is the whole separation of church and state for then?

February 25, 2012 at 6:40 AM
Crystal  

I am new to your blog...thank you for sharing. I searched for something somewhat similar to my issue with public schools...I am newly Wiccan but have always felt a pull from my soul toward Wicca. I have an issue with my child's high school and i am not sure how I should handle it. What are your views regarding "submitting formal complaints" & how to "fight" for what is fair? It has nothing to do with religion although much to do with ethics. My worldly first reaction is to make a complaint and follow it all the way to the top rather or not the staff member is reprimanded. Although i am wondering if there are suggestions on how to deal with it on a more spiritual level, a Wiccan way in dealing with difficult people reducing stress and diminishing anger? Thank you for listening . Blessed Be

March 3, 2012 at 11:52 AM
Anonymous  

I am new to Wiccan and apparently blogging too. I tried to leave a comment but...if it pops up...? Any who~~ I am having a difficult time with my child's high school not about religion but ethics in general. I have made a formal complaint and want a fair resolution although i am wondering if anyone has any suggestions regarding a peaceful Wiccan way of going about dealing with negative unethical people in the world (that btw claim to be christians) without anger and fighting my way to a person (if they exist) that may or may not help the situation. Thank you for listening ~ Crystal P. (from California) Blessed Be

March 3, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Crystal,

Thank you for reading and thank you for your comment. I want to give a meaningful, thought out response - so I've made a note to reply to you. My husband and I are leaving for vacation on Monday, so I'm a bit scatterbrained, LOL :)

Blessed Be
)O(

March 3, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...