Samhain and the End of the Year  

Posted in ,

I view Samhain as the last day of the 'year' even though I don't focus solely on Celtic tradition. I also view Yule as the beginning of the 'year' and again, I do this even though I don't focus solely on Norse tradition. I suppose I am a mixture of both in a way.

I quoted this in a recent post and I just want to reiterate:

'While almost all Celtic based traditions recognize this Holiday as the end of the "old" year, some groups do not celebrate the coming of the "new year" until Yule. Some consider the time between Samhain and Yule as a time which does not even exist on the Earthly plane. The "time which is no time" was considered in the "old days" to be both very magickal and very dangerous. So even today, we celebrate this Holiday with a mixture of joyous celebration and 'spine tingling" reverence.'

This makes so much sense to me. To me, it feels like the end of something on Samhain and it feels like the beginning of something new around Yule. Generally, Samhain is the time that I put to 'death' those things I no longer need - old patterns, old unhealthy feelings, etc.

This year I want to get rid of the old me, in the physical sense. It's so cliche, I know, but I have been struggling with weight loss all damn year now. I need to lose about 40 pounds and I am just not getting anywhere. I was and then I hit a plateau, got fed up and basically gave up.

I am giving myself until Samhain to get in the right frame of mind to be ready to do what needs to be done regarding weight loss. Anyone else make 'resolutions' at Samhain?

This entry was posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 at Tuesday, October 28, 2008 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 comments

O yes, the same resolution about weight. I already started. Today I had to buy another coat, because the old one didn't fit anymore, grrr....
Good luck to us!

Btw, that's a beautiful tarot card. Which deck is it?

October 29, 2008 at 12:53 PM

I too believe that Samhain is a time of death for the earth as well as the death of old ways of thinking, negative habits, etc. I am letting go this Samhain of all that hinders my success. I am letting go of past pains from those that were supposed to love me, from self-doubt and from those negative thoughts that keep me from shining. In addition, I believe that the "veil" between the two planes is at it's most thin on Samhain and I look forward to easier communications with those that have left this life. Brightest blessings!

October 29, 2008 at 6:03 PM

Hi Tink!

Yes, good luck to us!!! How much are you hoping to lose? I am going for 50 pounds!

October 29, 2008 at 8:02 PM

Freak Magnet,
Good luck to you with your goals. It really is such a weight lifting time of year, to rid ourselves of so much.

October 29, 2008 at 8:03 PM

Oh Tink,

I don't know which deck that is, I found the image through a web search!

October 29, 2008 at 8:04 PM

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...