Update on the Adopted Kitties  

Posted in

Last month CJ and I adopted 2 kitties and well, here's the update. It's not going so well. Gary has adjusted wonderfully. He loves the kids, ventures all around the house and doesn't even mind Angus much. I can't say the same for Miss. Puss, she has not adjusted well at all.

She hides under my bed, day and night. The problem? Gary. They don't like each other and he has no fear of her. In fact, he sometimes instigates. There are times at night when CJ and I go to bed she will come out and lay by us but then Gary jumps up on the bed and she immediately goes to hide. They fight often. Even in the middle of the night, I hear her growling from under the bed because Gary is in the room. AND, somekitty is peeing on our bed, on CJ's side. 3 times since we got them this has happened. My guess is it's her, asserting her territory.

I called Gloria, the woman who was fostering her for the shelter. We talked for a while and she feels it's best I return Miss. Puss to her so she can find a more suitable home :[
CJ and I talked about setting up a litter box and putting food and water in the basement - it's a finished basement.Then she and Gary would be separated but the kids are down there a lot and she hides from them too.

She hates the dog, she's not a fan of the kids, she detests Gary and the only time I see her is at night. BUT - she is such a sweet cat - and she is beautiful!


Gloria said boy kitties are much more aloof and easy going. She told me to bring Miss. Puss back and take 'Boots' an 8 month old black and white male. I am so torn. My goal was to give 2 kitties a home, not one a home and the other stress. Miss. Puss is obviously not happy here. I think she needs to be in a home where she is the only animal.

I don't want to return her but I think that is the best bet. At least she would be going to a home and not a shelter, even if it is only a foster home.

I am so sad :[

This entry was posted on Monday, December 28, 2009 at Monday, December 28, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

6 comments

Ana  

I think you are making a wise decision. She may be more suitable for a home where she is the only pet. My cat tolerates the dogs but he doesn't tolerate other cats.

Good luck and don't feel bad. She will find a new home.

December 29, 2009 at 10:38 AM
Witchy Mama  

Hi Ana,

I hope so, I really hate to send her back - makes me feel like I failed her :(

December 29, 2009 at 10:58 AM
Rue  

My female cat would never allow another cat into our home. I got her and her brother as kittens, but she barely tolerates people, let alone another animal. I know I would be crushed too, but the truth is, that her stress and unhappiness will eventually make her sick. If it's a foster home and not a shelter where they will put her down after a time, then she would probably be better off going back. She is beautiful, and I know you will miss her - but giving another cat the chance to share your home, and allowing her to find a more suitable place, might be for the best. Hugs to you - I know this must be hard.

December 29, 2009 at 1:45 PM
Witchy Mama  

Hi Rue,

I think female cats are so much more finicky and territorial, believe it or not, than males. I used to work as a vet tech and I have volunteered at may animal shelters over the years and I am 9% certain this is a behavioral issue and it is her who is peeing. I just had to wash my bedsheets AGAIN today. :(

At one time I had 5 cats and 2 dogs - all cats were male but 1 and never had any issues. I am hoping this black and white male works out.

Miss. Puss will go back to a foster home so no worries about being put down, thank the Goddess!

December 29, 2009 at 4:24 PM
Sparkle  

It does sound like Miss Puss needs a different home. That's too bad because I can tell you are already attached to her. But it sounds like Gary is an alpha male kinda guy, and she'll never get a chance to settle in because he won't let her. Kitties aren't too different from humans when it comes to personality conflicts (although humans have different methods of marking their territory!). Some cats get along with each other, others don't really like each other but manage to coexist and others are just miserable living with other cats. Miss Puss probably needs a quieter environment where she is the only cat. Gary may do okay with another male, as long as the new kitty is easy-going and lets him be in charge. That's my impression of the situation. Good luck and purrs to you!

December 29, 2009 at 7:24 PM
Bridgett  

I'm really sorry to hear this. :(
But, you'll all probably be happier with a new kitty in the home, Miss Puss included.
It has to hurt though, I know.

)O(

December 31, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...