Making Every Room Magickal  

Posted in

I've been looking around this house and I realize I am bad when it comes to decorating. I want this house to look and 'feel' witchy.


The only rooms that have anything remotely magickal in them are the dinning room--which is where my altar is and the bathroom. The bathroom has a candle warmer that arms my favorite smelling candles. I'd love to burn incense in the bathroom, I've been to homes where people do that instead of using air freshener...lol, but those people had bathroom fans and our bathroom doesn't have a fan. I don't want to walk into a smoke filled bathroom so unless the window is open, burning incense in there is not an option.

I think part of my problem is I hate clutter and while statues and trinkets are not necessarily 'clutter' I still have to dust it...I dust every other day...OCD? Maybe, lol

How do you decorate the rooms in your home?

This entry was posted on Friday, September 10, 2010 at Friday, September 10, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

carolochs  

Hi Witchy Mama....

I think "magical" is as much an attitude, and everyday routine or ritual..... as decoration. And for me, as much as possible, doing and using things that honor the earth...or as close as possible Handmade pottery vs. plasticized dishes, wicker baskets and natural fibered/materialed items, soy candles vs. parafin, essential oil scented botanical potpourris vs. synthetic fragrances, ...you can make your own room fresheners out of essential oils diluted with water in a mister, decorations such as pinecones, bottles of stones, rocks arranged around candles...simple and not too cluttered. Art that reflects your ideals. Bathrooms filled with bathing comforts and indulgences. Hang curtains or drapes of natural fabrics that flutter in the breeze. Make chairs and sofas comfy and inviting with cushy pillows and cuddly handmade shawls strewn about to grab and snuggle into. A well-tended garden and plants throughout the house is a must for me! Choose wood over metal. Lighting is SO important--whether candlelight, or soft colored lamo lighting, or strings of white fairy lights.... can set the atmosphere every day/night! I have white Xmas lights up in various places all over my house year-round (sometimes tucking them in obscure places like in bookcases can create a an especially magical effect). Windchimes grace nearly every room in my house and patio and mirrored ones send cascades of shimmering light all over the walls in a magical way! (My cats love chasing the light orbs!)

I'm OCD---dust EVERY day, LOL!, but I really value *home* and consider this part of my investment, to take care of it by keeping it in as clean and in as comfortable condition as I can. I may not be able to afford the newest or best of everything in furnishings or state-of-the-art gadgets...but I'll choose comfort, warmth, invitingness, loving critters, and grace over keeping up with the Joneses any ol' day! I need a home that nutures my soul, creative spirt and inspiration.

A book you may enjoy: "Magical Housekeeping" by Tess Whitehurst

~Carol

September 10, 2010 at 12:12 PM
Witchy Mama  

Wow Carol! Your home sounds delightful! I agree, it's definitely an attitude to carry as well as how things are decorated. The attitude in this house lately is 'chaos' -- I'm trying to fix that! TY for the book suggestion. :)

September 11, 2010 at 8:07 AM

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...